Thursday, September 13, 2012

Remembering 9/11

Given this week is the 11th anniversary of 9/11 I thought I would share a story of how I first heard the tragic news. 

It was the beginning of my junior year at Indiana University. Over the summer I had made an effort to lift weights and get a little leaner in an attempt to lure the ladies. There was this girl I was smitten with in my 9:30am Telecom class. I had met her the year before working on a group project together and wanted to ask her out. 

Since I was a bit of timid wuss, I figured I would wait a little bit and develop more of a rapport with her.  Good thinking Jonno, wait for something to develop while you’re in the one time in your life where girls are exploring their sexuality and have low morals. 


Jonno's college sex life

It was Tuesday, September 11, 2001 and Jonno was going to make his move. I had an 8am class, followed by my 9:30am Telecom class with the gal. (Brilliant scheduling by me)
In the 8am class, nobody knew anything about the attacks even though the first tower had already been hit. 

I waddled to my 9:30 class and got myself mentally prepared to ask my crush out. I walked into class and saw my teacher sitting down with other classmates glued to the room’s television. There was dead silence as they watched the live coverage on NBC. I could tell it was a bad situation, but at that point, I didn’t fully know the severity of it. A few moments later, the girl sits down next to me and also focuses on the television.

In hindsight, I realize how ignorant this was of me, but I was completely focused on asking her out. For some reason I had it in my head that this was the moment to do it. As she watched the news, she began to freak out a little bit. Most of the people were watching it quietly, but she kept on repeating, “Oh my God. Oh my God.”

At this point I knew there was no way possible I could make a move. I mean, even John Mayer would throw in the towel in a situation like this. Plus, it wasn’t like I would never see her again. I figured I would just take care of business the next week.

Well that never happened, because I never saw her again. She apparently dropped out the class or stopped going. Jonno had lost his opportunity.

Fortunately I don’t have to blame the terrorists for my love life because I have a wonderful 
woman by my side. But, if there is anything to take away from this story, it’s that you should go after every opportunity in life because you never know how long it will last.  (Also, try and hook up as much as you can in college.) 

How about we turn it up a notch for a 9-piece McNugget!

1) I was playing flag football the other day and ten minutes into the game this gentleman steps in a mud puddle and it splatters all over my face to make me look like Mel Gibson in “Braveheart.” I really should just stick to fantasy football.

2) Speaking of fantasy football, if I could go back in time the first thing I would do is re-draft my fantasy team.

3)  When I look back at the career of Michael Clarke Duncan, I realize the movie "A Night at the Roxbury" would not have been the same without his role as bouncer #1.

4) Why is it whenever I listen to Alec Baldwin's podcast, I feel like he is trying to seduce me?  

5) Whenever I see a dude open a car door for his woman, I immediately assume he has not had intercourse with her.

6) When I was teaching my parents how to copy and paste on the computer, it felt like I was teaching a chimp how to do sign language. 

This probably would have been a lot easier and more enjoyable.

7) One of the positives to summer ending is that I won't have to use my excuse of being allergic to the sun for wearing a t-shirt at pool and beach parties. 

8)  If I'm talking to somebody at a party and they use the word "equity", I will immediately tune out of the conversation.

9) Party Tip: If you're bringing boneless buffalo wings to a party, it's not the best idea to eat five of them in your car without drinking anything. Or else you’ll have the hiccups for the duration of the party and receive odd looks from people.    

H.A.K.A.S.

No comments: